I love Bountiful Basket for so many reasons. Bountiful Basket is a food co-op located across the country. To participate in Bountiful Basket you make a contribution on Monday and Tuesday of each week. They then take that money and purchase as much produce as they can for what they received that week. On Saturday the produce is delivered to the pick up site in cases. Volunteers then sort the produce into baskets that are used each week. You bring your own containers to take your produce home in. Each basket is $15. Typically you receive 4-6 fruits and 4-6 vegetables. There is an organic option for $10 more. There are also extras that you can contribute for like bread, granola, and whole cases of fruits or veggies sometimes.
This week I contributed for two baskets and granola for a total of $41.50, with the processing fee. Counting both baskets I received:
19 clementines
25 apples
10 bananas
2 packs of blueberries
12 tomatoes
5 red bell peppers
15 Anaheim peppers
6 avocados
2 cucumbers
2 packs of mushrooms
2 heads of romaine lettuce
2 bunches of spinach
Not bad for $30
This week we also got the Cherry Pecan Granola. This is the first time that we have tried the granola. It is good and I like that there are no preservatives, but I am not sure that it is worth the $10 I paid for it.
One of the most important things to remember about Bountiful Basket is that it is a co-op. No one is paid, it is all ran by volunteers. Everyone that participates is asked to volunteer every so often. If fact some pick up sites have had to shut down due to lack of help. I try to volunteer at least every other time I participate.
Not only is Bountiful Basket a great deal, it challenges you to try new things. Everything in this weeks basket was pretty traditional, but in the past I have gotten things I have never had like persimmons, salad savoy, and oroblancos. We love fruits and vegetables in our home and things rarely go bad before we can use them in some way.
No comments:
Post a Comment